Dr. Vibe speaks with a specialist who deals with men who served in the military, who suffer from trauma as a result of sexual abuse.
Dr. Vibe speaks to Dr. Joan Cook about men who served in the military who are suffering from trauma due to sexual abuse.
During the conversation, Dr. Cook talked about:
– Some of the things that the public should know about men who suffer trauma because of sexual abuse
– Why are we are not hearing about men in the military and sexual abuse and why more men are more willing to talk about being sexual abused
– The impact on how boys and men that socialization have on this topic
– Some of the common challenges that these men are dealing with
– The impact of masculinity on this men who are sexually abused
Dr. Joan Cook is a clinical psychologist and Associate Professor in the Yale School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry. She has over 100 peer-reviewed publications and has served as the principal investigator on seven federally-funded grants. Dr. Cook has worked clinically with a range of trauma survivors, including combat veterans and former prisoners of war, men and women who have been physically and sexually assaulted in childhood and adulthood, and survivors of the 2001 terrorist attack on the former World Trade Center. She was a member of the American Psychological Association (APA) Guideline Development Panel for the Treatment of PTSD and the 2016 President of APA’s Division of Trauma Psychology. Since October 2015, she has been writing for a wider audience and has published over 70 op-eds on mental health in places like CNN, TIME Ideas, The Washington Post and The Hill.
Have you read the original anthology that was the catalyst for The Good Men Project? Buy here: The Good Men Project: Real Stories from the Front Lines of Modern Manhood
If you believe in the work we are doing here at The Good Men Project and want to join our calls on a regular basis, please join us as a Premium Member, today.
All Premium Members get to view The Good Men Project with NO ADS.
Need more info? A complete list of benefits is here.
Photo credit: iStockPhoto