The mix of sweet and salty is irresistible and this saltine toffee is the perfect combination of those flavors! With only a handful of ingredients and fun decorations, this Easter saltine toffee is so easy to make and delicious!
One of our favorite family traditions is a Christmas treat we have fondly named Christmas Crack.
It is highly, highly addictive. It is the perfect combination of sweet and salty and I have yet to meet anyone who doesn’t like it. I make a ton if it every Christmas season to give to friends, neighbors, family… everyone!
Because we love it so much I decided that this year I should make an Easter version! I don’t know why I didn’t think of this before, I mean why should a family favorite be reserved for just one holiday?
The cool thing about this saltine toffee is that it only takes a handful of ingredients, and it doesn’t take long at all to make, so you can have it ready in no time.
My Christmas version is made with milk or dark chocolate, and the directions are a little different, so if you’re looking at this thinking that you’d prefer it with brown instead of white chocolate head over there and check out that recipe.
One thing to note about this recipe is that I used the white chocolate candy melts not white chocolate chips. I have tried to make this using white chocolate chips before and they don’t melt very well, the candy melts create a much better coating.
You can get the white and colored candy melts at most craft stores, Walmart, or on Amazon.
You don’t have to use all of the colored chocolates, I just added them for a bunch of color, you can use sprinkles or any colors you choose… or none.
Here’s how to make this Easter Saltine Toffee –
1 Cup (2 sticks) of butter
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
Saltines- approx one sleeve
2 Cups White Candy Melts
1/4 Cup Colored Candy Melts- I used pink, blue & yellow
1/2 tsp Shortening for each color candy melts
Easter Sprinkles – I used the Wilton Mini Egg Sprinkle Mix
The first thing you’ll want to do is line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and arrange your saltines to cover the baking sheet.
Preheat your oven to 350
Now in a saucepan over medium heat melt your butter and then add in the brown sugar. Increase the heat to med/high until the mixture begins to bubble. Allow it to boil for 5-6 minutes stirring occasionally. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t boil over.
Next pour the sugar and butter mixture over your prepared crackers and place the baking sheet in the oven for 10 minutes. The butter and sugar mixture will start to bubble.
After 10 minutes remove it from the oven and place it on a cooling rack, allow to cool for about 5 minutes
Now in the bowl of a double boiler (or a heat safe bowl placed over a pan of water) melt your white chocolate candy melts until nice and smooth.
Now pour your melted candy melts over your caramel layer and spread it out evenly using a spatula.
If you are using sprinkles you can sprinkle them on now so that they stick in the melted chocolate.
Next it’s time to add the colored chocolate swirls. Working with one color at a time place 1/4 cup colored candy melts and 1/2 tsp shortening in a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave 30 seconds at a time stirring in between until the candy melts and shortening are completely melted and smooth.
Then using a spoon drizzle the melted chocolate across your white chocolate layer.
Repeat with additional colors until you’ve used as many as you’d like. You can add more sprinkles in between color additions.
Once you’re finished with your decorating just let everything cool. When it is completely cool break it into chunks and enjoy!
If you don’ t eat it all at once it keeps well in an airtight container. If it is very warm in your house you might need to keep it in the fridge.
This makes a great addition to your Easter meal, packaged up in baskets or for gifts for teachers, neighbors or friends!
- 1 Cup (2 sticks) Butter
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Cups White Chocolate Candy Melts
- 1/4 Cup Each Colored Candy Melts
- 1/2 tsp Shortening for each color candy melts
- Easter Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 35o and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Arrange saltines in a single layer covering the baking sheet.
- In a saucepan combine butter and brown sugar and heat over med/high heat until it comes to a low boil, continue boiling, stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes
- Pour the butter/sugar mixture over the saltines and spread it out evenly then place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove and place on a cooling rack.
- Melt your white chocolate melts in the bowl of a double boiler until smooth. Pour it over your caramel mixture and spread evenly. If desired sprinkle with sprinkles.
- For the colored drizzles- add 1/4 cup of colores melts and 1/2 tsp shortening to a small microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second increments until smooth. Drizzle over white chocolate with a spoon. Repeat for other colors.
- Allow to cool completely, then break into pieces.